Friday, June 28, 2013

I Love my Kids!!!

"As holy people whom God has chosen and loved, be sympathetic, kind, humble, gentle and patient."
  Colossians 3:12

This verse becomes exponentially hard to do when you have multiple children in your house. Today my 8 year old has hidden the TV remote from the 5 year old because the little one has learned how to use it and the 8 year doesn't want her to change his show. Well now we can't find the remote!! And the fighting has ensued!! AND we only have 2 children! Today with the, what I am sure is mild chaos compared to house holds with several more children than us, I have had wondered how we are going to homeschool these children?!?! I will not lie, I am not in general very patient, yet God calls us to live in Peace and Harmony (Ephesians 4:3).

So what do we do when the frenzy is almost more than we can take? How in the World do we live in Peace and Harmony with fighting Siblings?  I must admit as soon as I read this verse this morning, I had a good laugh. God always knows exactly the right words at the right time to bring light and wisdom to a situation. Here we are again, that we need to be in His word everyday if we are to raise these young Neanderthals up in His love, knowledge and grace. In addition, we need to be memorizing scripture, because the Holy Spirit will be Faithful to bring it to mind at the exact right time. Write it on your walls!! I often have a sticky note at my desk at work with scripture that God has put on my heart to memorize. We can do this, not only for ourselves, but our children too. Have a weekly family verse that will be a focus for our children. Lastly, for myself I know I need to take a breath. I need to remember that the little irritations are not life altering and I need to remember the bigger picture.

Prayer:

  Lord,
     Help me to be loving, sympathetic, kind, humble, gentle and patient today with my children. Such a tall order I know that cannot do this on my own. But I do know that if I can show them your love, they will shine your light. Your word instructs that a gentle answer deflects anger and harsh words make tempers flare. Help me to have your word in my heart that I would not sin against you, and that I would lead my children to you. Help me to lead by example and not by my own desires.

Amen

No comments: