Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Weeding the Garden

"How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart? Cleanse me from these hidden faults." Psalm 19:12

We were out pulling weeds in our garden last week and I was in one area pulling and pulling and pulling. Thinking I had done a pretty awesome job I look and there in the middle of this nice clean spot is a Huge Goat Head patch!! How did I miss it?! And I immediately thought of the scripture in Matthew 7:4 about how we are so quick to point out the little faults in others but are blind to the Huge faults in our own lives. Right there in the middle of what we think is going pretty good, a Huge Goat Head Mess.

Today I came across this passage from Psalms and it made me think of my weed pulling session. This entire chapter is very inspiring about God's goodness and his Law, that we should meditate on day and night to live a right life and then we come to verse 12. Exactly!!! How can we know every sin lurking?! 

We are particularly blessed to have a "helper" that King David did not have, the Holy Spirit. We are particularly blessed to have the ultimate sacrifice that Christ Jesus gave on our behalf. And because of that sacrifice we have Grace. Is Grace a reason to keep sinning? In the words of the Apostle Paul, Absolutely Not!! But if we daily weed our garden by searching His word and Speaking with our creator, it will get easier to see those Goat Heads before they get so big they flower and then we have stickers all over the place. 

Prayer:
  Lord,
     Help me to see the sins lurking. Those things that keep me from knowing you completely. Those things that push others away from you and not to you. I know that I can never be all that you expect on my own and I thank you for the price that you paid that I could not. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved the prayer. I thought of myself.