Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Midweek Ministry

As you know from last week I would like to post more on 
Wednesdays about the work our church is doing in our 
community. However this week I have decided to deviate 
because yesterday I heard the most wonderful and awesome 
story. You know one of those stories that leaves you feeling 
little chill bumps because you know God was working. This 
story comes from a friend and fellow believer from high
school, her name is Rebecca Helvey. At this time her 
grandfather has gone through a huge surgery and is recovering
in the ICU. Yesterday as they were wheeling him to surgery 
the most inspiring things happened and I will just copy and 
paste two of Rebecca's posts here.
  
1st post is about her grandfather:
R.J. Stevens... 84 years old. 4 heart bypass. Has spent his life as a Gospel preacher in the Church of Christ & teaches congregations all over the country how to better worship God through song. Also has a hymnal that is widely used through numerous churches called, "Hymns for Worship." So singing is quite a passion for him, 

2nd post is the awesome story from yesterday:
UPDATE on Grandpa before surgery today!! Two ladies came into PaPa J's room this morning to transport him to surgery. They were so sweet & kind to him & our family.
As they transported him down the elevator and through the halls, grandpa was engaged in conversation with one of them about God & Jesus Christ. She asked him what his favorite gospel song was, and he said, "Nearer, Still Nearer." She said her favorite was "Nearer My God To Thee." He replied, "That's a great song, too." He started singing it. Both ladies stopped the gurney and everyone sang it together - my dad, mom, Uncle Joe, Aunt Paula and even Grandma Pauline.
When they arrived at the place where they would eventually put grandpa to sleep, both ladies gave your grandpa a big hug and told him everything would be okay.
When my dad looked down at the ladies name tags, their names were RUTH and ESTHER!! This just brought tears to my eyes when my dad told me this! So uplifting to hear this and fits my grandpa's love for the Lord.

Immediately when I read this post yesterday on Facebook,
I thought several things. One, how this wonderful man was
proclaiming the name of Christ even as he was about to face
major surgery. This shows me where his focus, life and heart
is, it is at the foot of the Cross.  And second, about how God
always shows Himself to us. He lets us know that He IS 
present and He is still in control. I immagine that Papa J blessed 
those two women immensely and I bet they too blessed him. 

So this week WE are going to be the ones Ministering. The
apostle Paul was a prayer warrior and a fine example of how
we are to pray.

    "I have never stopped thanking God for you. I pray for
     you constantly."  Ephesians 1:16

    "Don't worry about anything; pray about everything. Tell
     God what you need, and thank him for all he has done."
      Philippians 4:6
    "Devote yourselves to Prayer with an alert mind and 
      thankful heart." Colossians 4:2

    "Keep on Praying." 1 Thessalonians 5:17

These are just a few times he talked about praying. If
he talked about it so much, then we should probably be
doing it more. 

We are going to pray for Mr. R.J. Stevens today and 
in the weeks to come. God has already been moving and
working and I can see He is not done yet. Pray with me
for our Brother in Christ. Pray for healing, pray for strength
for him and his family. Let's pray that God works so mightily
in Papa J's recovery that everyone will know that it could
have only be done by our Great and Mighty God!! AMEN 

I will update you in the weeks to come as I learn more and
I know that family thanks you for your prayers because our
God is bigger than any health issue we face. Our God
is the Greatest of all Physicians.  

No comments: